"If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney

Thursday, October 4, 2012

It is Going to be How Cold?!

My training runs are scheduled Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays or Sundays. Jeff Galloway's plan has the long runs for Sundays, but it really depends on what my plans are before I can decide if I will do Saturday or Sunday on any given week. Last week, I chose Saturday. The run was good, with temps at about 60 degrees when I went out. I have not been able to train this week so far, and am hoping I can make it out later today or tomorrow. I have been in pain  and nauseous (both unrelated to running) which has put a damper on physical activity. My long run is this weekend, although I am glad it is not the typical long run. I am scheduled for a 4 mile run with a "magic mile." I have not been doing well with magic mile runs simply because it has been way too hot to get a good estimate. The formula assumes that the temperature on race day will be 60 degrees or cooler. Well, I've only had one run day in that range. Until this upcoming weekend, that is.

I looked up the highs for this weekend and my jaw dropped. Saturday's high is only 49 degrees. Our HIGH. That is about 20 degrees cooler than the average we're supposed to have. That obviously means it will be colder than that if I choose to run in the morning. I am debating if I want to run that day, or wait until Sunday when the high is all of 6 degrees warmer. I am telling myself that this will be good training. After all, my race is a night race in November. Then I remembered that I used to live in Florida and it wasn't 40something degrees at night in November. The average low is about 60 degrees.

I will not be skipping out on this weekend's run. I only have 5 more weekend long runs before race day, so I cannot afford to skip them. And training in cooler temperatures is MUCH more preferable than training in extreme heat. I know that my body will warm up and my performance will excel. Still...I wish I had my arm warmers already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...