"If you can dream it, you can do it." -Walt Disney

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Running Disney

I have never been much of a runner. I had my aspirations, but I just did not have the stamina. And so I never really put forth the effort into even trying. I had been contemplating trying a 5K, but hadn't made any attempts to try for one.

That all changed in the fall of 2010. A friend of mine had mentioned running in the Disney Halloween 5K. This piqued my interest. Disney? Halloween? Love. Love. I knew Disney hosted a Princess Half Marathon, but didn't know about the whole "runDisney" aspect of the company, which puts on several running events a year. And the kicker was that it was a 5K which I had been wanting to do. So I made a pledge to myself to run the next Halloween 5K. And I did! On October 1, 2011, I ran the Disney Halloween 5K through the Animal Kingdom park. I knew my quest would not end there. The day before the 5K, I went to the Health & Fitness Expo. They had the medals from all the half marathons and marathons on display...and that is when I knew I would run a half marathon. My goal was to earn one particular medal: The Wine & Dine Half Marathon medal.

The inaugural year medal (2010) on the left, and the subsequent medal (2011) on the right

I would like to earn the other medals, such as the Princess Half Marathon and the Disneyland Half Marathon...and maybe even the Coast to Coast eventually. But for now, the Wine & Dine is what holds my heart.

On March 13, 2012, I officially registered for the 2012 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon. I am both excited and scared. Running 13.1 miles is rather daunting, but I can think of no better place to do it than at Disney World. I leave for Disney on November 8th, with the race taking place on the night of the 10th...to coincide with the final weekend of the International Food & Wine Festival. 

Come join me during my final weeks of training for this half, and through my newfound love for running. Come join me as I live, laugh, and runDisney!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...